If you cringe at the idea of eating broccoli, read this post. If you absolutely love broccoli and would eat it in raw handfuls, read this post. You see, broccoli is one of those foods that people feel strongly about in one polar direction or another – you either love it or you hate it. What I am trying to do is spread the word that there is no need to hate it… EVER. There are so many ways to prepare broccoli and make it taste like the best thing on earth.
This salad is just one exquisite example of how to do it… so I’m sorry, but there are no excuses anymore.
Why am I advocating for eating broccoli so hard? Because it’s freaking good for you, that’s why. Broccoli is a miracle food. It packs the most nutritional-punch of any vegetable and the list of health benefits is endless. The most noteworthy benefits of broccoli include:
- It is a great source of potassium, meaning it aids in regular muscle growth and helps you maintain a healthy nervous system – that includes brain function!
- Bone health (calcium + vitamin K), eye health (carotenoid lutein) and heart health (B6 and folate)
- It is packed full of antioxidants which fight free radicals and serve as an antihistamine against the common cold or discomfort.
- FIBER BABY! You know what that means. Healthy digestive system, keeps you full and satisfied longer. No more details necessary.
- It is proven to control high blood pressure and may prevent against certain cancers.
Something this remarkable is sexy to me. And I want to eat it.
Ok so aside from why you should eat broccoli, why should you make this particular recipe? Well because it tastes good and it’s pretty, duh. In all seriousness though, I love the simplicity and the combination of flavors is to-die-for. I could hardly stop talking about how good it was long enough to actually eat some!
What will you need?
2 stalks broccoli, florets and stalks included
1 medium red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
2 scallions, chopped
½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp sesame seeds
For the dressing…
½ cup orange juice
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp ground ginger
How do you make it?
Peel the hard outer layer off of your broccoli stalks. Cut the broccoli florets and stalks into nice bite-sized pieces.
Bring 3 cups of water to a simmer in a medium sauce pan. Drop the broccoli pieces in for 1 minute and blanche them… but barely. Remove from the heat and strain.
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, red pepper, scallions and chopped cilantro.
In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for your dressing.
Pour over the broccoli mixture and toss together until everything is lightly coated and serve at room temperature.
Sprinkle with some sesame seeds to make it that much cuter!
We got really wild and ate ours with some lemon water